Do you know what would happen if you don’t trim your wood wick candles?
The flame will go out.
Did you know the same thing can spiritually happen to us if we don’t keep our wicks trimmed?
Let me explain!
In Matthew 25 there is Parable of the Ten Bridesmaids also known as the Ten Virgins in the KJV.
- Well, you may ask, “What is a parable?” A parable is a an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.
- And virgin in the bible is an unmarried woman.
In this parable, the Kingdom of heaven is compared to these ten virgins.
Just to summarize the parable, 10 virgins were waiting to meet the bridegroom. They took their candles along the way because there weren’t any street lights during that time. Well, five of them thought they could make it throughout the night with a half burned candle and an untrimmed wick while the others were smart enough to take a brand new candle with a trimmed wick.
Well, the bridegroom was late, and they fell asleep. When it was midnight, they were awaken by a shout! “The bridegroom is coming! Come out and meet him!” They all got up and prepared their candles. Then the five bridesmaids who brought a half burned candle was begging the other five to give them some of their candle wax. They were like no, go to the store and grab you some.
So they went, and got left behind. Now they're outside yelling, “Lord, Lord, open the door for us!” and guess what the Lord said? “I don’t know you.”
Now let’s break down what it looks like to have a full and trimmed candle:
- The Holy Ghost: You will receive power
- Setting time aside for God.
- Reading your word daily.
- Meditating on it day and night.
- Praying Daily; Sit there and allow Him to speak.
- Walking in Holiness. Holiness is a lifestyle.
- Operating in His will.
Now let’s break down what it looks like to have a half-burned candle w/ an untrimmed wick:
- Not being Holy Ghost filled; You have no power. Demons aren’t trembling.
- Or you have the Holy Ghost but you’re lukewarm. Straddling the fence.
- Not spending time with God.
- Not reading your word.
- Not praying
- Basically, operating in your own will
With that being said,
It is so important to stay in the will of God. We do not want to spiritually fall asleep (or be unprepared) and get left behind. Your soul is not something to play with. God will leave you to be tormented if you aren’t ready. You can’t makeup with God in death. You cannot talk your way out of it. What matters is now. While you still have breath in your body. Now is the time to prepare for the bridegroom because we don’t know the day or the hour of His return. It is better to be prepared than to miss the mark.